Our mission is to connect the world’s photographers. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website and mobile apps to find, share, and get rewarded for the world’s most inspiring photography.
We take pride in the products we ship and love what we do. Our engineering culture values mentorship, ownership, collaboration, and getting stuff done.
Our technology stack includes: React, Redux, ES6, Ruby on Rails, Python, Go, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch, and various Amazon AWS services. Check out our Engineering Blog for more.
The 500px website and associated APIs are critical to our business and to our community. As a Full Stack Developer you’ll be responsible for helping to deliver everything from tiny UX improvements, to broad structural changes spanning multiple codebases that require deep knowledge of React and Redux, and other web frameworks.
What You'll Be Doing
- Designing, implementing and optimizing web products used by millions of users.
- Turning product plans into code, involving close collaboration with product managers, designers, and front-end web and mobile developers.
- Building highly scalable API services.
- Supporting the design and maintenance of the 500px systems infrastructure.
- Involved in technical planning and architectural decision-making.
- Coordinating and collaborating with developers across multiple teams and tech stacks.
- Providing technical leadership and mentorship to other team members.
- Becoming intimately familiar with our servers and forming an opinion about how to debug and improve them.
- Be able to work independently, and be effective at getting yourself unblocked when you need it.
- Helping the team prioritize, assess risk, and evaluate tradeoffs.
- Engaging in discussions thoughtfully, and supporting clear decision making throughout the team.
What the Ideal Candidate Will Have
- A positive attitude and a strong intellectual curiosity.
- 3+ years of web development experience.
- Experience shipping software at scale, with a product-focused mindset.
- Experience working with web frameworks like Ruby on Rails, Django, and Express.
- Familiarity with MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Memcached, and ElasticSearch.
- A solid understanding of the pros/cons of these different tools, and sound judgement in evaluating their tradeoffs for different applications.
- Intermediate-level knowledge of fundamental web technologies including HTTP and RESTful services, and common web security pitfalls.
- Interesting technical challenges
- Competitive salaries, quarterly bonus structure
- Flexible hours
- Catered lunches, snacks and drinks
- Great health and dental benefits, paid parental leave
- Professional development opportunities
- Our Interview Process
- Phone screen: <1hr conversation with HR.
- Coding challenge: We'll ask you to write some code, and then share it with us to review.
- In-person interviews: 3-5 hours at our office where you'll meet multiple members of our team.
We believe diverse teams perform better, and we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.
20 Duncan St., Toronto, ON, M5H 3G8,39