Quandl is transforming how business decisions are made. Data is the most important resource of the 21st century, and Quandl is at t . . .
Quandl is a data platform used by over 400,000 people, including thousands of analysts from the world’s top hedge funds, asset managers and investment banks. Professionals use Quandl for our rich suite of databases and unrivaled data consumption experience.
A key part of our offering is “Alternative Data”: obscure, rare or esoteric datasets from unusual or untapped sources that are not widely used by Wall Street firms. Examples include intercompany transaction and supply chain data, sentiment measures derived from natural language processing, tracking of vehicles via GPS transponders, satellite monitoring of industrial facilities, footfall and geolocation data, and consumer insights gleaned from anonymized credit card transactions.
These datasets are often considered “alternative” because they do not fall in the traditional categories of data used by the financial industry: stock prices, company fundamentals, options and futures, and so forth. Their importance in the financial markets is increasing rapidly as hedge funds and active asset managers are eager for data that offers predictive insights about the performance of individual companies, sectors, and the economy as a whole.
As the world’s leading provider of Alternative Data, we deliver innovative products that power some of the most successful firms on Wall Street. We welcome you to join us in our journey, as we continue to redefine the investment landscape.
Quandl is currently seeking Quantitative Researchers to join our Alternative Data team. Multiple positions are available at an Intermediate to Senior level. You will evaluate new data sources and use them to create new alternative data products that provide quantitatively measurable market insights. Specifically, you will:
- Work alongside data analysts and data engineers to onboard, test, and enrich new data from our partners
- Detect, confirm, and amplify predictive signals in the data while filtering out non-relevant information
- Communicate predictions and insights to colleagues and customers
- Leverage financial market expertise to properly package data for maximum appeal to professional investors
- Inject best practices in financial analysis and data science across the team
Mentor and guide junior quantitative researchers and data analysts
- You are an excellent quantitative analyst and researcher with experience in the capital markets or financial services industry, looking to work on interesting problems in a collegiate, friendly and fast-moving environment. Your qualifications include many if not all of the following:
- 2+ years experience (or 5+ years for Senior) in quantitative analysis in the capital markets or financial services industry
- Experience in financial analysis and modelling
- Intellectual curiosity and passion for financial markets, data, algorithms and statistics
- Experience performing exploratory data analysis/mining with large datasets
- Deep understanding of quantitative data collection and analysis techniques, statistics and database development
- Proficiency in Python or R; working knowledge of Excel, SAS, SQL and similar tools. Experience with Spark, Hadoop, Redshift, AWS and other big data technologies is a plus
- Attention to detail coupled with strong analytical skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics/Statistics, Finance, Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Quandl is a Toronto-based financial technology startup that was backed by two of Silicon Valley’s most respected venture capital firms; we are the the first and only Canadian startup in the ‘Forbes Fintech 50’.
- Everything we've accomplished so far has been the result of hiring intelligent, committed, proactive people, and giving them the freedom to do their best work.
- We value character, humility, integrity and teamwork; we try to steer clear of self-promotion, arrogance, passing the buck and other political skills.
- Our Company Culture
- Quandl was acquired by Nasdaq Inc. in Dec 2018. Post acquisition, we continue to operate independently out of our 50-person office in central Toronto, on our mission to build the world’s leading marketplace for financial, economic and alternative data.
- Our small-company environment means that we are small enough for you to make a difference; at the same time, Nasdaq’s support and scale makes us big enough for your work to have a meaningful impact for our customers and the industry.
Benefits and Perks
- A competitive salary and incentives
- Interesting and meaningful problems to work on
- Colleagues who are smart, motivated, talented and a pleasure to work with
- Health benefits for yourself and your family
- Your choice of hardware, software and work setup
- Flexible office hours, tactical telecommuting and unlimited vacation
- A beautiful, centrally located office filled with sunlight and perks
- If interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter for the application. This is a full-time position in Toronto, starting immediately.
625 Church St, Suite 400, Toronto, ON, M4Y 2G1