JVS Toronto is a registered charity in the social services sector providing career and employment services. Our employees make a difference affecting local communities by connecting jobseekers to employment and helping employers build their workforce in Toronto and York Region. The Toronto Youth Job Corps program helps at-risk youth gain sustainable employment through skill development and life skill training. A 5-week pre-employment training, assessment, and work experience leads to a 16-24 week subsidized work placement, with the goal of securing full time employment. Staff typically work with sector partners to place participants in various work experience locations, monitor their performance, and assess suitability for full- time employment. Learn more about the good work we do by visiting our website at https://www.jvstoronto.org/find-a-job/youth-employment-services/.
Are you looking for meaningful work where you can make a noticeable difference in peoples’ lives? JVS Toronto will provide you with the opportunity to advance your career and give back to our community. To reward employees’ hard work, JVS Toronto offers a paid vacation allowance, health, vision, & dental benefits, an employee assistance program (EAP), and corporate discounts.
Workforce Specialist / Paint Site Supervisor, Job ID #7014
Toronto Youth Job Corps
Full-time / 1 year contract with possibility of renewal / Starting ASAP / Jane Finch
We’re looking for someone who will:
- Instruct and supervise youth on paint site projects in painting techniques, minor plaster and sanding work, equipment maintenance, and health and safety protocols with emphasis on WHMIS regulations
- Effectively coach youth in the areas of positive work habits, such as attendance, taking direction, problem solving, working in a team, and peer leadership as it relates to employer expectations and job maintenance while encouraging, supporting, and highlighting participants strengths
- Identify and secure potential paint site projects with non-profit organizations for client work experience opportunities. Prepare and complete work contracts with building management
- Assesses safety of paint sites, purchase equipment, and transfer painting supplies from site to site to assist youth with preparation of the paint sites
- Maintain accurate inventory of supplies and equipment; ensure they are stored appropriately and in proper working order
- Maintain complete, updated files, case notes, and documentation on Salesforce
- Assist with job coaching including, but not limited to, job search support, placement monitors, and pre-employment workshop facilitation as required
- Flexible hours / evenings / weekends may be required for this position.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- College diploma in a Social Services or related program. International education must be evaluated for Canadian equivalency.
- 1-2 years of experience supervising and coaching youth in a workplace setting
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to deal effectively with youth from different cultural/racial backgrounds and/or with special needs
- Current working knowledge of employment-related issues
- Knowledge of WHMIS and applicable health and safety regulations
- A high level of sensitivity and tact developed through education and experience
- Effective verbal and written communication skills; ability to prepare and write reports to agency standards
- Computer literate; the ability to learn systems used by the agency (ie. SalesForce)
- A clear Police Vulnerable Sector check is required for this position
Our ideal candidate will also have:
- Employment Ontario knowledge and exposure
- Painting experience and knowledge of commercial painting
- Strong leadership skills